Its over so quick! Yes it is that time again when you need to say goodbye to the tree you have welcomed in to your home for Christmas and have so fondly dressed and admired.
January the 5th is when the majority of people see fit to remove the star and all the other ornaments gathered over the years, signalling the end of a busy festive period and the start of a new year. Its almost a therapeutic act.
Unfortunately we are all used to seeing the sad sight of gradually browning trees strewn on pavements outside homes, but it doesn't have to be that way! There are loads of options for you when time comes to dispose of your Christmas tree. Here is our guide to recycling your Christmas tree in and around Glasgow.
Glasgow City Council advises that if you have a brown bin, real Christmas trees can be placed in your bin for kerbside collection. They ask that you p[lease cut the tree into manageable pieces and ensure that the lid will close and the tree is not wedged into the bin.
Alternatively, trees can be taken to any of the household council recycling centres;
- Dawsholm Recycling Centre - 75 Dalsholm Road, Glasgow, G20 0TB.
- Easter Queenslie Recycling Centre - 90 Easter Queenslie Road, Glasgow, G33 4UL
- Polmadie Recycling Centre - 425 Polmadie Road, Glasgow, G42 0PJ
- Shieldhall Recycling Centre - Renfrew Road, Glasgow, G51 4SL
Real Christmas trees can also be taken to the following locations from 3 January until 19 January:
- Pollok Country Park, Burrell Car Park
- Alexandra Park, off Alexandra Parade, car park next to the golf course
- Kelvingrove Park, Kelvin Way, grass area opposite the bandstand
The trees collected in the brown bins or taken to the recycling centres are sent for composting to our re-processing partners and the trees taken to the parks are chipped and shredded on site for use within the parks.
Chippings will be available for the public to take free of charge from Pollok Park. Recycling helps to divert waste from landfill and assist residents achieve a greener Christmas.
East Dunbartonshire Council will be accepting trees from Friday 5th January until Sunday 21st January. You can drop off your tree at the following locations:
- Allander Sports Centre Bearsden
- William Patrick Library car park in Kirkintilloch
- Mavis Valley Recycling Centre in Bishopbriggs.
You can also dispose of your tree at Homebase in Milngavie
If you want to recycle your tree but cannott make it to one of these places please call the Customer Contact Centre on 0300 123 4510 by Sunday 14th January and someone call to will arrange for your tree or a one-off collection of your garden waste bin to be picked up for recycling in the week beginning 15 January.
North Lanarkshire Council can uplift trees with all decorations removed as a special collection from Sunday 7th January. To request an uplift just complete the form here.
Alternatively you can drop the tree off yourself at one of your local recycling centres;
- Airdrie Waste disposal and recycling centre - Lady Anne Crescent, Airdrie, ML6 9RY
- Bellshill Waste disposal and recycling centre - Jubilee Way, Bellshill, ML4 1SA
- Coatbridge Waste disposal and recycling centre - Stobcross Street, Coatbridge, ML5 1BE
- Cumbernauld Wardpark - Wardpark Road, Wardpark Industrial Estate, Cumbernauld, G67 3HF
- Cumbernauld Westfield - Deerdykes Place, Westfield Ind Est, Cumbernauld, G68 9HE
- Netherton Waste disposal and recycling centre - Netherhall Road, Netherton Industrial Estate, Netherton, Wishaw, ML2 0JG.
- Shotts Waste disposal and recycling centre - Foundry Road, Shotts, ML7 5DX
South Lanarkshire Council have a great pdf download regarding Christmas recycling and waste disposal.
It explains that you can take your real Christmas tree, to one of your local Household Waste and Recycling Centres that are located at:
- Hamilton Road Industrial Estate, Strathaven
- College Milton Peel Park Industrial Estate, East Kilbride
- BlantyreI ndustrial Estate, Blantyre
- Strutherhill Industrial Estate, Larkhall
- Castlehill Industrial Estate, Carluke
- Eastfield, Cambuslang Road, Rutherglen
If you live in Renfrewshire you can recycle your tree between 6 and 13 January at the following recycling centres:
- Barshaw Park, Paisley
- Household Waste Recycling Centre, 52 Underwood Road, Paisley
- Lochwinnoch Public Park
- Thomas Shanks Park, Johnstone
- Barwood Park, Erskine
East Renfrewshire Council advise that real trees can be placed inside - if it fits - or beside the brown recycling bins to be sent off for composting.
Or head down to one of their recycling centres at:
- Greenhags Waste and Recycling Centre - Ayr Road, Newton Mearns, G77 6RY
- Barrhead Waste and Recycling Centre - Carlibar Road, Barrhead, G78 1AA